Swear in as a PCV! (If I pass the third language exam that is) . Side note: Please take a look at Jesse's blog because she is having very similar experiences to mine AND is a FANTASTIC writer. Her way with words blows me away. I have also added five more blog links to my page - Suzi, Mark, Alex, Ryan and Leslie, Bjorn are all volunteers in my group - some of them have great photos posted! And most are much funnier than I so take a look.
I have just returned from site visit. This is where we get a sneak peak at our new homes for the next two years. My father is the village Alkalo (think mayor), his brother is the Imam (think Muslim priest) and my house is a stones throw from the Mosque! That means I will be waking up with the call to prayer over the VERY LOUD speakers at 5:30 every morning for the next two years. 'Tis OK since dawn is around the corner & I go to bed between 8 & 9:30 every night.
My official welcome to village came from Chuck Norris himself! The first evening there my host sister (Mymuna) asked me if I was going to see the 'tele' - imagine my surprise when I walk to the Mandinka compound to find 70 villagers crowded around a small television watching Chuck Norris kicking butt! Chuck's video turned out to be skipping a little too much so we switched to watching a movie from Mali - (no one in village can understand the language) but it was fun! The family has a healthy generator that powers the TV. When I return to village I will find out if I can charge my Ipod & cell phone at their house!
Saturday, December 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment