Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving in The Gambia

Hello! I have returned from training village safe & sound! Since I am not a fan of duplicating work, and I'm sure you would like to know what my life has been like over here, please go to http://alexthegambia.blogspot.com. His mom has transcirbed his letters home and posted them already!
In other news, we had Thanksgiving at the US Ambassadors house last night! Wow - quite the party. The BBQ'd 50 chickens for us! And someone smuggled in cranberry sauce in on their luggage from the US. It was the first time that we got to meet all the other volunteers in country. I met a couple of folks that will be within 20 Kilometers from me. Did I mention the Ambassadors' pool overlooks the ocean? Yes, it was tough to take in, but I managed.

Things are going really well over here. I have passed two language tests, and have one more before swearing in. Tomorrow I head to site (where I will be for 2 years) to meet my family, see my house, make arrangements for a food bowl, laundry and rent. I will bring Kola nuts to my family, the Imam(Muslim priest) and the Alkalo (mayor) to get things started off on the right foot.

After my 3 day visit to site, I will return to Kombo (the capitol area) for about 2 weeks for more training and swearing in! Also - I will get a cell phone soon! It will be easy for me to receive calls, but not place them. It looks like getting to a computer will be much more challenging than I anticipated, so please be patient!

Letters come through in about 2 weeks time - thank you MOM! I will receive mail once a month on the PC mail truck - along with my free subscription to Newsweek International. So if anyone feels like writing me a letter.....I will write you back - just be sure to include your mailing address so I can write you back (because I forgot to make a master list 'o addresses before I left the states)

All in all things are WONDERFULL and the PEOPLE are AMAZING, and it is starting to feel like home. I miss you all, and (if you feel like it) e-mail me with updates from home and tell me what is going on in the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Kristina! It's so good to see a post on your blog!! We've been talking about you a lot and all hoping that you are doing well! We promise to write letters soon! Take care!!

Stephanie said...

So great to hear from you!! The Ambassador's house, huh? Sounds luxurious, and a fantastic way to celebrate Thanksgiving. Take care, and enjoy all the wonderful moments and opportunities.

sarah said...

I was JUST thinking of you yesterday...SO happy you posted!
Glad things are going well!
Mail love coming soon! :)
xo.